The kidneys are organs with several functions including excretion, heamostasis and maintainence of blood pressure. When renal function, measured by glomerular filtration rate (GFR), is persistently poor the condition is known as Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) which progresses to Chronic Renal Failure (CRF) if left unchecked. The final stage of chronic kidney disease is called end-stage renal disease (ESRD) when the kidneys no longer function. Growing prevalence of Diabetes, Blood Pressure and use of excessive painkillers has led it to take the form of epidemic.
Kidney diseases are silent killers .The symptoms of worsening kidney function are unspecific, and might include feeling generally unwell, experiencing a reduced appetite, nausea, swelling over body and urinary complaints. Often, chronic kidney disease is diagnosed as a result of screening of people known to be at risk of kidney problems, such as those with high blood pressure or diabetes and those with a blood relative with chronic kidney disease. Symptoms start to manifest and creatinine rises beyond 1.5 when more than 75% of kidney is already damaged.
Chronic Renal Failure is presently global threat to mankind. Kidney diseases affect around 600 million people worldwide – approximately one in ten people. In India approximately 100 million people are already suffering from CRF and 254 pmp/year are left to die as they cannot afford the cost of treatment. Even mild disease is also a risk factor for death. Health authorities worldwide will have to deal with escalating costs and kidney disease epidemic if no action is taken.
Apart from screening and prevention, Dialysis and kidney transplantation are the only options available with modern medicine. Apart from being expensive, they do not cure CRF but only keep a person alive by performing the crucial functions of the kidneys. In countries such as India, less than 10% of all patients who need it receive any kind of renal replacement therapy (RRT).
If homeopathy is used at the onset of CKD, i.e. soon after detection in the screening process, its progression into CRF and ESRD can be checked. Modern medicine has little or no role to play at this stage and the patient is given medication only to control diabetes or hypertension, calcium and iron supplements etc. At the onset of disease the level of creatinine is low and with regular homeopathic treatment along with management rise of creatinine can be checked and its level can be brought back to normal.
Homeopathy stimulates the immune system to revive and repair the diseased nephrons thereby improving the G.F.R. Renal function tests start to improve within few weeks of taking homeopathic medicines. Increase in kidney size and circulation can also be assessed within 6 months to 1 year of treatment by Ultrasonography and Renal Doppler. As a result the disease progression is checked and the grades are reversed. CRF patients of almost all grades i.e. I, II, III & IV have been helped by Homeopathy.
Once a patient starts on Dialysis he has to depend on it for life. The process of dialysis cannot be stopped. With time this procedure has to be done more and more frequently. The patient is trapped in the vicious cycle of swelling, water retention, Dialysis and protein loss. Only death or transplant awaits CRF patients after dialysis. The frequency of dialysis can be reduced or altogether stopped with Homeopathy. Various complications associated with long term dialysis like dialysis dementia, thrombosis, septic embolism etc can also be helped with Homeopathy.
Kidney transplantation is a life-extending procedure and not a cure. Further it works better with patients in high socio-economic group. The cost of immunosuppressive drugs, which has to be taken lifelong by the patient after undergoing transplant, can be as high as 20,000 to 30,000 per month. Since most of the patients cannot afford the cost they are left to wait for death.
Little is known and published about Homeopathy and its role in kidney disorders. As a result even less is known to general public and millions of lives and billions of currency continues to be wasted which could otherwise be saved by timely intervention with Homeopathy.
- Singh M, Kamal L., Kumar R., “Evidence Based Follow – Up Study On Chronic Renal Failure In Response To Homeopathic Treatment “. International Conference On Homeopathy, Molecular To Organismal Level. Lake Land Country Club, Satragachi, Kolkata, India 10-12 December 2010.
- Singh M, Kamal L., Kumar R., Singh M.,“Evidence Based Follow – Up Study On Chronic Renal Failure In Response To Homeopathic Treatment.” 18th National Homeopathic Conference at Jammu, India, February 6th & 7th 2010.
- Singh M, Kamal L., Kumar R., Singh M., “Evidence Based Follow – Up Study On Chronic Renal Failure In Response To Homeopathic Treatment.” Homeopathic Scientific Seminar, Azamgarh, Uttar Pradesh, India, January 24 2010.
- Singh M, Kamal L.,Singh M., “Nano Padwati Se Gurde Ka Ilaaj Safal Wa Sasta” KANWHIZZTIMES, Lucknow, Sunday MAY 9, 2010 p.5a
- “Prevention of CKD in India” (online) Available at http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/aSGuest14892-163830-agarwal-pk-entertainment-ppt-powerpoint/. (Accessed February 2, 2011).
- “Prevalence Of Disease” (online) Available at http://www.worldkidneyday.org/page/prevalence-of-disease (Accessed February 2,2011).
- “The Cost Of Disease” (online) Available at http://www.worldkidneyday.org/page/the-cost-of-disease-1. (Accessed February 2, 2011).
- “The PREVEND Study Screening for micro-albuminuria”(online) Available at http://www.prevend.org/index.php. (Accessed February 2, 2011).
- “Chronic kidney disease” (online) Available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_kidney_disease. (Accessed February 2, 2011).
- “Chronic kidney disease” (online) Available at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000471.htm.(Accessed Feb 2, 2011).
- “Chronic renal failure” (online) Available at
- http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/238798-overview.(Accessed Feb 2, 2011).
- Sumesh.P. “Chronic Renal Failure and homeopathy” (online) Available at
- http://www.similima.com/pm27.html. (Accessed February 2, 2011).
- Raval.H. “Kidney Failure Or Renal Failure Homeopathy Treatment” (online) Available at http://www.worldwidehealth.com/health-article-KIDNEY-FAILURE-OR-RENAL-FAILURE-HOMEOPATHY-TREATMENT-.html.(Accessed Feb 2, 2011)
- Sharma.R.K. “Chronic renal failure and homeopathy” (online) Available at http://www.spiritindia.com/health-care-news-articles-338.html. (Accessed February 2, 2011).